Newcomer Welcome Center - Online Student Registration

In order for a student (K – 12) to be eligible for a provincially funded education in British Columbia, the student and his or her parent/guardian must meet specific criteria. These criteria are set at the provincial level and not by individual school districts. Please visit "Eligibility of Students for Operating Grant Funding" for a more detailed description of provincial education funding criteria.

Parent/Guardian and child must currently residing in the city of Vancouver, BC when you submit your application.

Once our registrars have received your child's application and all required documents, we will contact you to make an appointment for you to bring your child and all original documents for verification, and formally complete your child's student registration. Any missing documents will delay the process.

Application Pre-check:

Was your child born in Canada?
Is English your child's first language?

Application Checklist:

Proof of Residence in the City of Vancouver [please submit one of the following]
  • A current property tax statement or purchased agreement [with subject removal and deposit receipt], AND a recent bill.
  • A current long‐term rental or lease agreement. If NOT CURRENT, please submit additional current bills, AND a recent bill.

Note: Schools experiencing enrollment pressure will request additional identification as proof of residency.

Child’s Birth Certificate and English translated version [ideally showing parents’ names]
Proof of Status in Canada [please submit one of the following for both parents and child]
  • Permanent Residence Card or the Confirmation of Permanent Residence document and passport.
  • Work Permit and Passport‐‐with parent's [minimum of one year] current full-time employment letter.
  • Study Permit and Passport‐‐with parent's program admission letter and payment receipt.
  • Refugee Claimant Document.
  • Diplomatic Card or Passport.
  • Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card or Birth Certificate.
  • Status Identification Card.
Child’s School Report Cards [in English]
  • Elementary ‐ most recent year of report card (except for K students).
  • Secondary ‐ All report cards from Grade 7 [age 13 to present].
  • Any Individual Education Plan [IEP], Psycho‐Education Reports, or Medical Report.
Immunization Records [if available, no need to translate] and any other health information [e.g. medical alerts, in English].
Other relevant documentation involving Guardianship: a Court Order [Divorce/Separation] or a Parent Consent Letter.

Application Tips